The bond between a teacher and a student is considered to be one of the most influential and important factors in a learning environment and its significance is far beyond a classroom. The relationship between teacher and student is a key element that affects the growth, engagement, behavior, and academic performance of a student.
5 Reasons Why teacher-student relationship is important
The relationship between a student and a teacher helps to improve the education level among the students.
- Classroom environment- A good relationship between teacher and student will help to create a thriving classroom environment that will help the student to grow and learn more effectively. It will aid them to develop self-worth and improve mental health.
- Fruitful Communication- Good and effective communication is essential for learning.a positive relationship between teacher and student will be able to express themselves more easily without any hesitation.
- Motivation and Inspiration for Students- A supportive and helpful teacher will always try to inspire each and every student.
- Enhancing Academic Achievement- A positive environment will encourage students to perform well in academics. Teachers move on with the motive to teach each child and develop the whole child.
- Social and Emotional Development- The teacher-student relationship is critical for the social and emotional development of students. It helps them develop empathy, respect for authority, and effective interpersonal skills. They are taught good moral values that will help them in their life.
7 exciting Ways to build a good teacher-student relationship
Building a good relationship between teacher and student is important for effective teaching and learning and positive learning outcomes that will help each and every student. Here are 7 exciting ways to build good teacher-student relationships
- Knowing the students you teach- To build a good relationship and trust among students, teachers are required to learn students’ interests, and hobbies and should try to make genuine efforts to know the interests and backgrounds of students.
- Mutual Respect and trust for students and teachers- As a teacher, you must treat each student with respect and expect the same from them.
- Try to become Approachable- Try to create a welcoming environment that can encourage students to ask questions and seek help.
- Encourage Engagement of Students – The session must be interactive and participatory wherein students can participate and feel motivated about the same.
- Become a role model- Be a role model for the behavior and values you want students to learn and with this try to demonstrate respect, kindness, and integrity in your actions that will encourage them to inculcate these values in them.
- understanding students thinking- As a teacher, you must understand that a student may face difficulties while adapting themselves to the environment, you must show patience and support the student by understanding difficult situations if any.
- Resolve conflicts among students if any- if in the classroom there is a conflict between students, as a teacher you should address the conflicts and disagreement in a respectful manner, by giving an example of conflict resolution methods.
Building a good teacher-student relationship takes time, patience, and effort from both ends. When students feel respected, supported, and engaged, they are more likely to thrive academically and personally. A positive teacher-student relationship can have a lasting impact on a student’s educational journey which will them in the future.